Max has been hankering for gizzards for sometime but I haven’t had much luck finding them until a couple of weeks ago. Gizzards are tough muscle meat and need to be cooked slowly at low temperature until tender. Here is the recipe I used to make him a salade de gésiers.
Step 1 – Cooking the gizzards in duck fat (Gizzards Confit)
Put the gizzards into a casserole and cover with duck fat. Cook on the lowest possible heat for about 2 hours, until tender.
If not using immediately, you can store in a sterilised jar covered with duck fat and refrigerate.
Step 2 – Preparing the salad
- Remove the gizzards from the duck fat. Slice the gizzards thinly.
- Heat a little duck fat in a frying pan over a medium heat and toss in the hot fat until brown at the edges. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add to your salad and drizzle with a dressing.
(recipe source: Forgotten skills of cooking by Darina Allen)
- Chicken Rice – Singapore Style
- Pomelo Salad with Pork Cracklings
- Pan Fried Duck Breast with Blueberry Sauce