Beef, Mushroom & Guinness Stew
(inspired by a recipe for Beef, Mushroom & Guinness Pie in Gourmet Traveller)
- Melt half the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Toss the steak in seasoned flour.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the saucepan and sauté the steak for about 5-7 minutes or until browned.
- Return the onions and mushrooms to the pan with the meat. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add beef stock, Guinness and mushroom ketchup (or Worcestershire sauce), tomato puree, bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Cover and then simmer gently, stirring occasionally, 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Serve with boiled potatoes tossed with chopped parsley and butter.